The classical approach of management is also known as a functional approach, empirical approach, and management process approach. The main features of this approach are given below:
- Management is viewed as a systematic network of various functions like planning, organizing, directing, staffing and controlling.
- On the basis of the experience of practicing managers, managerial principles are developed and used as guidelines for practicing managers and form the basis for managerial training.
- Functions, principles, and skills of management are universal. They can always be applied in any situation.
- Formal education and training are emphasized for developing managerial skills in upcoming managers.
- Emphasis is placed on economics, efficiency and the formal organization structure.
- People are motivated by economic gains. Therefore, the organization controls incentives.